Umi is almost 3 and 1/2 and he is currently in Pre-K. This year (2012-2013) we will use:
- Math: Math -U-See (Primer) and Montessori
- Science: Mudpies and Magnets and other ideas from other blogs
- Arts and Crafts: Ideas from other blogs and pinterest
- The rest of the subjects I use Montessori.
- Unit Studies and Lapbooks for anything that he is interested in learning about. So he chooses what he wants to learn about. We make a lapbook and we decorate the cork board.
Currently he is interested in the solar system. So we are working on a lapbook and we have a cork board that we are going to display the solar system that we are making. I will hopefully write a post about this activity it is fun and he is enjoying it.
One thing it helps to choose curriculum or a path in homeschooling your child is to write your goals and desires in a sheet of paper. Then once you read them out loud and crossed out the ones you realized are not so important you can find the way to achieve them. And remember it is not the quantity that matters but the quality. Therefore I think it is better to accomplish 2 goals and done well than cram your child's year with TONS of activities that gets him stressed and force him to live up to your expectations. So remember to follow your child! You can plan all you want but if your child is not enjoying your choices of activities then you need to reevaluate what you guys are doing and come up with something your child enjoys. The goal of homeschooling is not to do what schools do. It is not to follow a strict curriculum made for a large group but rather to follow your child so he can keep the love of learning and learn at his or her pace. It is just like music you need to find the beat and follow it!